Wednesday, October 21, 2015

New Rainbow Scrap Challenge Block

For weeks, I have been contemplating a new block for my next Rainbow Scrap Challenge quilt.  Like the 9 patch quilt I recently finished, I wanted a block that could easily be sewn without a lot of cutting or digging through scraps.  




I knew I wanted something that used a lot of 2.5" squares because I always have a bunch of these on hand.  Having them organized by color makes it really easy to pick fabrics for each block.



 So this morning, I just decided to make a really simple chain block.  It consists of just squares that can be easily sewn as a leader and ender project.  And it gives me another excuse to play with low volumes as a background fabric.




In no time at all, a second one was sewn.  I decided to start my next RSC quilt using the brown color for October. These blocks will finish at 12" so for a nice big lap quilt, I will probably make a total of 20 to 30 blocks.










Each month I plan on sewing 2 blocks.  I have no idea how I will join them...I will need to finish quite a few more blocks until I start thinking about that. 


Until then, they will just be pinned to my design wall and allowed to grow into a quilt!









Linking Up:
 
SoScrappy




15 comments:

Gina said...

Great block to use for scraps. I look forward to seeing the quilt xx

scraphappy said...

What a great block to use up all the bits you already have on hand. Great choice!

Ivani said...

Cnthia, the 2 blocks looks great, simple and easy. I like your idea of organizing the squares by color. What kind of tray do you use?

PaulaB quilts said...

You just made me realize that a new RSC is fast approaching. Your idea sounds great. Easy, and at this stage in my quilting, 2-1/2 inches is the smallest size I will cut. Anywhere from 4-patch on up would work, but your blocks look very good and end up large. I have been working on building up my low volume stash. Are those completed blocks you show in the picture? Thanks for your frequent posts.

Brenda said...

I really enjoy using scraps and think your blocks are a superb color combination. I have been seeing a lot of posts on using up scraps this month. Each and every one of them have inspired me, including yours, I especially like the simplicity yet the block is bold and daring. Thank you for sharing and inspiring and have a wonderful creative day!

Micki @ 2 Dogs Studio said...

Like your idea and the simplicity of the block. Micki@2dogsstudio.us

gayle said...

What a great block - simple, but looks really impressive when you start setting them next to each other. Perfect for RSC!



Hayley said...

Your blocks look great and what a great idea for sorting your scraps!!

cityquilter grace said...

terrific way to organize those squares...thanks for the inspiration!

Jayne said...

Growing blocks! Such a great idea for those neatly organized 2.5" squares! I may have to use your method and sort by color. Great idea!

Jasmine said...

I love seeing how you organize your scraps. This is a great use for your 2.5 inch squares.

Feathers in my Nest said...

Your blocks are beautiful...reminds me of a Irish chain when they're together like that..clever.

tisha @ quiltytherapy said...

That's a great way to store sorted scraps. That could be really helpful. Use those paint chips.

Stephie said...

Perfect colours for the time of year. I love the idea of chains, and that's such a great way to store the squares for them!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is a great block! So many uses!

01 09 10